Sunday, February 28, 2010

Reflections on readings for Mar 4th

I think I'll have a real hard time creating my avatar in Second Life. With people saying you can be whoever you want to be etc. First, does not it kinda imply that you are already not who you want to be? Second, if all avatars are good-looking and you cannot look like a chubby bold 40 something guy you are, wouldn't any avatar become a display of your low self-esteem? I know, I'm over-thinking this, but still.

Now, to what I liked about SL.

1. Great educational opportunities! It can replace or enhance classroom experiences, be an effective self-learning tool and help to recruit more students to universities.

2. Vast business opportunities! In 2009 the transactions on SL (sale of virtual cloths, furniture, gifts etc) totaled to $567 million US dollars.

I don't think I'd ever "live" there, but I'd be happy to go learn and do business.

2 comments:

  1. I think the virtual (SL) classroom is a brilliant idea. It sure beats the present online GOTO meetings (I don't like them at all!) It will probably give a big boost to distance learning programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It seems like there is no way to find truth in the virtual world. Like you said - if you are a larger unattractive person, why wouldn't you create an attractive avatar? I guess it's similar to the issues dating sites have - people think it's okay to pretend they're something they aren't...

    ReplyDelete