Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflections on readings for Feb 25th

As many of you, guys, I'm still trying to learn how to use networking and LinkedIn, so the readings for the coming class were very relevant to me. I usually get a nice warm feeling when I read something that makes perfect sense. Like I did when I read Penelope Trunk's article. I was especially relieved to read that you do not network when you job-hunt. Before today I thought I did, as this is what most people were telling me. You do "call in favors" rather than "network" in a pure sense when you do not have a job. It makes perfect sense!

I also appreciated her idea how networking is more about giving than asking for. It just so happens in peoples' relationships that we are more willing to oblige someone who already did something nice for us (or even just offered to) than otherwise.

And last (but not least) I liked her mentioning how you can get some time "talking" to interesting and/or important people in blogs, the opportunity that those people may not give you in person (as they are too busy or too far away.)

10 ways to use LinkedIn was an useful read too. Beware, though, that apparently as the first comment to this article says, when three people whom you send an invitation to connect respond that they do not know you, your LinkedIn account will be blocked. Forewarned is forearmed.

7 comments:

  1. It's very true - you always want to give more so that you are due a favor. It reminds me of a recent episode of The Office where Dwight and Andy are trying to one-up each other by doing little favors so that one will owe the other....if you haven't seen it - watch it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen it. Thanks, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know LinkedIn blocked accounts if people responded that they didn't know you. Seems odd, but I guess they're just protecting people from spammers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true, Andy. But the guy who wrote that comment also has a point - LinkedIn is not just a site to network with people who know you. You should be able to introduce yourself to other people (if there's nobody to introduce you to them). I still think LinkedIn should work it out somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole point of networking is to meet new people, otherwise what's the point...whether your looking for a new job, someone to collaborate with, or just someone to learn from, networking provides an opportunity for growth, to expand your horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that blocking on LinkedIn is weird. Its not on sites like Facebook where there is a bigger possibility for spam mail as it is not meant only for professionals to network. You should be able to block the people you want; it shouldn't be automatic.

    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete